Sunday, June 02, 2013

The Clusterfuck that is the 2013 Jays


Wow I've really neglected this blog lately.  I apologize to my dozen or so fans, but the last month or so I've been busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest.  I'll try to get back to updating this a little more consistently, as there is plenty of new food places for me to review, and the new season of Big Brother starts in a couple of weeks (speaking of Big Brother, I kind of missed posting about the last few episodes, I'll give my thoughts on how it ended in my first Big Brother USA post).

Anyways, on to todays topic...the clusterfuck that is the 2013 Toronto Blue Jays.  I've supported a lot of shitty teams over the years, but they were teams that were meant to be shitty.  The 2013 Blue Jays have to be the most disappointed I have ever been with any team I have ever supported.  Sure the Leafs had that Game 7 meltdown against the Bruins (PS that still stings) but nobody expected the Leafs to take the Bruins to 7 games, especially after they were down 3-1 in the series.  The 2013 Blue Jays were supposed to be different, they spent a lot of money, traded away a lot of prospects to go "all-in", they were picked to be World Series contenders by a lot pundits, but here we sit on June 2nd and they are a whopping 10 games under .500, in dead last in the AL East with a ragtag rotation and line-up due to more fucking injuries.  Barring a massive win streak and a miracle they look to be spending their 20th straight season out of the playoffs.




Brandon Morrow spazzing out on sunflower seeds basically sums up my feelings on the season so far.  It's been impossible for them to string a win streak together, I think a 3 game win streak has been their highest so far.  When they get pitching they can't hit, when they get hitting they can't pitch.  When they get both pitching and hitting someone will make an astronomically stupid fielding error, which inevitably lead to runs.  Pitching was supposed to be the strength of the 2013 Jays, but thus far they've been injury-riddled and shitty.  RA Dickey has had a couple of good starts but for the most part has been mediocre.  Mark Buerhle had a shitty April but has been coming around, he also tends to be the victim of having shitty run support.  Morrow and Josh Johnson have been hurt, but when healthy haven't exactly been lighting the world on fire.  I think JA Happ has been their best starter, but the guy fucks up his knee falling off the mound after getting hit in the face with a line drive.  How fucking unlucky is that? I think JA Happ's injury perfectly sums up the Jays season. 



Offensively I think there has been some good signs.  Edwin Encarnacion has been great all year offensively, and after a traditional slow April, Jose Bautista has come around and is playing like Bautista can.  The biggest surprise all season offensively has to be Adam Lind, my friend Corey Sperling's boy Lind.  Everyone had given up on Lind, and really he had the numbers, especially against left-handed pitchers to warrant it.  But not SPEPLING, he stuck with his boi 2-6, and is reaping the rewards, Lind has honestly been their best hitter lately, and has been one of the few bright spots on the team thus far.  Jose Reyes being injured has SUCKED, in the 10 or so games that Reyes was healthy, he was hitting over .400 and was quickly becoming one of my favourite players, he should be back within the next month, and I think that will help them immensely.  Brett Lawrie on the other hand really needs to get his shit together, both on the field and mentally.  The Jays PR team has been blowing smoke up his ass since he got on the team, basically because of his Canadian passport, he really needs to grow up though.  He needs to stop bitching at the umpires (stop throwing equipment at them is a good start), the whole incident where he got mad at Lind and the 3rd base coach for not running on his sacrifice fly was embarrassing.  Not only that he is barely hitting above the Mendoza line, and surprise, surprise, he's injured too!  For the Jays to do anything, Lawrie needs to be better.


I tend to agree with Ricky here, and I am optimistic on the way the rest of the season will play out.  As bad as the Jays have been so far, it can't possibly get any worse.  They've dug a deep hole for themselves, but there is still plenty of time left in the season for them to turn it around into something respectable.  They were horrible in April, but believe it or not did get better in May, now they just need to be solid the rest of the way.  All they need is a big win streak, 7 or 8 game win streaks aren't out of the question at all in MLB, the Jays just need a 15 game win streak to dig them out of the hole they're in.   The bullpen has been solid, Casey Janssen and Brett Cecil have been lights out.  The bats are finally starting to come around,  along with Encarnacion, Bautista and Lind, Melky Cabrera had a great May.  If the pitching gets healthy and performs the way they are supposed to, they could easily be back in the thick of things come September, and a strong finish will help the 2014 team (I'm already looking towards 2014, for fucks sakes).  Every time they get a big walk off victory and I think things are starting to turn around, they go ahead and shit the bed the next game.  Despite how the rest of the season turns out we'll always have this to remember....


 My name is Munenori Kawaski, I am from Japan, and I am Japaneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great article. Hopefully the Jays turn it around.

Unknown said...

Thanks Jonny Boy...I honestly thing things are gonna get better for the Jays before they get any worse, whatever helps me sleep at night I suppose!

Unknown said...

Very insightful article! I think there might be at least two other bull pen artists who have kept their heads above water, and in fact have been instrumental in several Jays'victories.

Unknown said...

Thanks for reading Guy. You're right the whole Jays bullpen has been great this season, it was perceived to be a weak spot before the season started