Monday, December 29, 2014

Raptors Keep Winning, Wild Card Weekend Predictions and More!


Kyle Lowry is a fucking beast, as far as athletes on Toronto teams go I would have to say he is the best, Jose Bautista and Phil Kessel might have something to say about it, but Kyle Lowry is a bonafide MVP candidate and he keeps getting better and better.  I really don't give a flying fuck about All-Star games, but if he isn't a starter this year that would be a crime.  Currently he sits fourth in voting behind John Wall, Dwayne Wade and Kyrie Irving, all those are great players, especially John Wall but Lowry is better.  What a performance last night in Denver playing in altitude on the second half of a back to back, he only came out with 31 points and 11 assists for the double-double.  He is capable of carrying this team on his back alone, but he is also great at getting his teammates involved.  If a 32 year old didn't look like a clown in a basketball jersey I would definitely get one of his. I was worried about the Clippers game last week... why?  That was a really fun game to watch, it was close most of the game until "We The Forth" took over.  The Raptors/Clippers game was the only game happening at the time, and the rest of the NBA world must have stood up and noticed the Raptors if they haven't already.  I know it's the typical Canadian little brother syndrome, but I love it when ESPN or TNT or any other American sports outlets praise the Raptors, after years of ignoring them.  The Raptors are finally getting the respect they deserve.

The Week Ahead: @ Portland (12/30), @ Golden State (1/2), @ Phoenix (1/4).  The Raptors West Coast Swing continues against two of the elite teams in all of basketball.... and the Suns (who are still a pretty decent team!)  Last week I said I would be thrilled if the Raptors went 3-3 on this trip, and they are already 2-1 thus far.  I am really looking forward to both the Portland and Golden State games, they are such fun teams to watch, plus it's late starts!  I love late games, back when I was a working man dick I hated them, but now I have nothing better to do but stay up until 1 am watching sports!


While I just fawned over how great Kyle Lowry was, I have to say Phil Kessel is the best too.  Last night he only played his 400th straight game for the Leafs, he hasn't missed a game since his debut.  But according to fucking Dave Feschuk and the rest of the squids in the Toronto media, who get all poopy pants when he doesn't want to talk to them, he is lazy, fat and out of shape.  I'm lazy, fat and out of shape, I know my own kind and Phil Kessel isn't one of us.  I really hate the Toronto sports media, the same dick heads that never gave Hall of Famer Mats Sundin any credit criticize Phil Kessel at every turn, when he has only been consistently in the Top 10 in NHL scoring every year he's been in Toronto.  Sure he goes through dry spells, but who doesn't?  I'd take him on my team before anyone else in the NHL... mumpy face Crosby included.  Anyways, the Leafs only had two games this past week, they dominated Dallas, but since that game was before Christmas it seems like it was a month ago instead of a week ago.  They really looked like shit against Florida last night, save for a little stretch in the second where they scored all their goals.  Richard Panik who has been awesome this season left the game with a concussion... ugh hopefully he isn't gone as long as Leo Komarov has been.

The Week Ahead: @ Tampa Bay (12/29), @ Boston (12/31), @ Minnesota (1/2), @ Winnipeg (1/3).  This road trip continues against some tough opponents.  Tampa Bay is amongst the elite in the NHL, so I am not counting on anything from that tonight, we always suck against Boston, especially in front of their Masshole fans... Minnesota is boring and shitty, and the Jets are surprisingly having a good year.  Like I have said all season the Leafs are so fucking bipolar it's tough to say what team will show up... the team that gets horrifically out shot with very little offensive puck possession, relies on amazing goaltending and manages to win, or if all that still happens and they look like the Mighty Ducks before Emilio Estevez was forced to coach those little fuck heads.


The World Juniors are in full swing and as usual Canada is destroying weaker competition.  We kicked the ever loving shit out of Slovakia on Boxing Day, I miss playing France on Boxing Day, there is nothing better than beating the French... well maybe beating Germany like we did the next night.  Canada has a long and storied history of beating the Krauts at things - hockey, World Wars etc.  The top line of Max Domi, Anthony Duclair and Sam Reinhart have been amazing, obviously the apple doesn't fall far from the tree with Max Domi, as his old man Tie was the best.  Things get a little tougher for Canada as we play reigning gold medalists Finland tonight, the same Finnish team that knocked us out in the semi-finals last year, and the stinkin' Americans on New Years Eve.  At least those games there will be some competition, it gets a little boring to beat the shit out of these weaker hockey nations.  The elimination rounds happen this weekend and the gold medal game is next Monday night, hopefully we'll be in it!


As I correctly predicted last week, the Bills showed up and beat the god forsaken Patriots in Foxborough for the first time since 2000 when the game did not matter for either side.  Still a win is a win and fuck Tom Brady, fuck Bill Belichuk and fuck that cave man Gronk.  The win left them at 9-7 on the season.... their first winning season in a decade, ugh.  Kyle Orton retired, so the Bills are either have to make a move at QB or decide to go with EJ Manuel, it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.  Doug "Moron" Marrone looks like he is going keep his job (stupid decision), hopefully he deep-sixes Nathanial "Can't" Hackett and get a decent offensive co-ordinator.  If they can get a decent QB and some good offensive linemen then this is a playoff team next year.  Hopefully Jim Schwartz sticks around, because their defense is unbelievable and Kiko Alonso coming back next season will just make them better.

NFL playoffs are upon us and wild card weekend is always the best football you'll see all season.  Call your bookies and get your Pro-Line tickets ready because these are my can't miss predictions for the games this weekend:

ARIZONA @ CAROLINA

WINNER:

It's a fucking joke that Carolina is in the playoffs, let alone hosting a game just because they won the god-awful NFC South.  Arizona was having a break-out season before Carson Palmer got hurt, and they still managed to play pretty well without him.  Cam Newton is good, but they aren't good enough to pull this one off.

BALTIMORE @ PITTSBURGH

WINNER:


I have a soft spot for the Steelers, I've always kind of liked them, plus Pittsburgh is an awesome city... it reminds me of Hamilton.  Pittsburgh is back in the playoffs after missing it last year, and Big Ben is a 2 time Super Bowl winner, come January he could easily string some wins together.  Steelers-Ravens games are always good ol' time football games, the way it was meant to be played, so I am expecting a hard-hitting tough affair with the Steelers pulling it off.

CINCINNATI @ INDIANAPOLIS 

WINNER:
This is the HDH upset of the week, yeah Indy has Andrew Luck and they are playing at home but I don't trust the Colts.  The Bengals played in a way tougher division than Indy who coasted into the playoffs, plus I always liked their Tiger-Striped helmets.  I can see this game going down to the wire, with the Bengals pulling it off late.

DETROIT @ DALLAS

WINNER:


This was a tough one for me too choose, I have a soft spot for the Detroit Lions, as I can identify with any long-suffering fan base.  I am a big fan of Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford, but I don't see them beating Dallas, especially in Big D.  DonkeyKong Suh went out and got himself suspended again for stomping on Aaron Rodger's ankle yesterday... does this guy have difficulties? Seriously how dumb can he be.  I kind of have a soft spot for the Cowboys too, I got over my hatred of them from the early 90's when they beat the Bills in back to back Super Bowls.  Tony Romo is good despite his many critics and Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray are unreal, I want this to be a high scoring game with Dallas coming through in the end.

Well that's my last post of 2014... it's been a year of a lot of ups and downs for me, but the last few months have definitely been on the "up" side of things.  I actually want to expand this sports blog a little more in the New Year.  I want to start a podcast with my buddy, who is also very sports inclined and is hilarious.  Maybe get a new website for my sports blogs and the podcast, make it slightly more professional looking and keep this one for my Big Brother and Food Reviews... we'll see it's just a thought but I think it would be fun.  Until then I hope you have a very Happy New Year and as usual hit me up on twitter @HDH2112 

No comments: