Monday, May 26, 2014

REVIEW: Burrito Boyz


As an avid watcher of the Food Network I love looking at Mexican food being made, when that overwhelming douchebag Guy Fieri goes to places that serve Mexican food on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives it all looks so good.  Besides the occasional jaunt to Taco Bell, and my review of Quesada Mexican Grill last year I rarely to never get Mexican food, and it seems in the last year or so burrito and taco joints have been opening up everywhere.  I've been aware of Burrito Boyz in Toronto for a couple of years, I've heard nothing but good things from Toronto people I follow on Twitter, it even got Jose Bautista's endorsement. I noticed there is one here in lovely downtown Hamilton so I walked down through the usual crowd of crackheads and reprobates (note: to be fair downtown Hamilton is a lot nicer than it was when I was a kid) to check it out.... it was certainly a lot better than Taco Bell (although I still do love me some Taco Bell).  By the way... doesn't that logo look like he's holding a big doobie instead of a burrito??


I went at lunch time so there was a big crowd of people standing around waiting, I wasn't sure of what the ordering procedure was so I kind of stood there like a dumbass for a couple of minutes thinking I was in some sort of line, but no I was just in a crowd of people waiting for their order... turns out you have to go to the cash register.  You had a choice of quesadilla or burrito and there was a whack of meat to choose from.  You can even choose to mix two, because as former Blue Jay Travis Snider taught us a few years back....


I took Snider's advice and ordered Chicken and Steak.  My boy Tyler World Peace recommends the Chicken and Shrimp.... that's something to try for next time.  Unlike Quesada where it is kind of an assembly line procedure, they call you up right away and ask if you "want everything" overwhelmed by the choice of toppings I panicked and said yes, good thing I'm not picky at all, the only thing I don't like is peas...why do they call them peas when they taste like poo??  Anyways looking at the ingredients online it turns out I ordered refried beans, rice, cheese, lettuce, tomato, green onion, red onion, black beans, green pepper, jalapeno, cilantro, corn, guacamole, burrito sauce and sour cream.  They asked if I wanted it mild, medium or spicy... feeling a little adventurous I got spicy, so there was their XXX hot sauce on it.  Everything was really good but holy fuck was it ever spicy.  I crushed my Dr. Pepper half way through the burrito and I had to get a Vanilla Cone from McDonald's on the way home to put out the fire in my mouth (PS I noticed that McDonald's is selling Onion Rings now! I was too full to try it but that is something I need to check out) The price was reasonable, the price after tax for a burrito and a can of pop was a paltry $9, which is what you can expect from most fast food places, a fucking Cheesy Gordita Crunch and Fries Supreme from Taco Bell will set you back $9 and this was way better.  There is Burrito Boyz all over the GTA, and there is one on Central Ave for all my friends in London. I would recommend it if you're in the mood for some Mexican food that's a step up from Taco Bell.
  Now that I am back in Hamilton and have quite a bit of free time on my hand I am willing to try any other place in town.  Send me some recommendations in the comments or hit me up on Twitter @HDH2112 

No comments: