Thursday, February 05, 2015

REVIEW: McDonald's CBO Sandwich

Finally McDonald's has given us a new sandwich option... something that isn't a god forsaken salad or a wrap.  The CBO (Chicken Bacon Onion) Sandwich was first brought to my attention when the McDonald's Canada Twitter Account (yes I follow them on Twitter, nerd alert) re-tweeted a review from Toronto Food Blogger Hubert Leung.  Hubert has a great food blog, he reviews everything from fast food to hot dogs at Blue Jays games to fine dining options in Toronto.  But reading his blog on the CBO I found out that there was an exclusive McDonald's "Super Fans" party launch for the CBO. Not only did they all get to try the CBO before everyone else, there was cake, an open bar the whole fucking 9!  What the hell?!? Why in the fuck was I not invited to this? I love McDonald's!  I defend it vigorously to the nerds that say it is made from pink gloop and cows that have cerebral palsy.  I've written 6 blogs on McDonald's including a definitive power ranking of all their sandwiches.  My life long dream would be to go to a McDonald's tasting party that had an open bar, me and Grimace would've been the life of the party, but I might have knocked out the Hamburglar if I saw that sneaky little asshole.  Anyways, I know you were all waiting with baited breath for my review of the CBO, so I made a trip to the good ol' Dundurn and Main location today to give the CBO a whirl.


I must say the Dundurn and Main McDonald's location here in the Hammer is one of the finest I have been in, it has two floors, a play pen and the menus are all on fancy flat screen TV's.  Plus it is the location I frequented growing up where I fell in love with the Golden Arches.  It is certainly a hell of a lot better than the Jackson Square location, which is right down there with the Dundas and Richmond location in London as far as the scummiest McDonald's on planet Earth.  Anyways the sandwich was pretty fucking awesome, it is one of the best things that McDonald's has brought out in ages.  First things first the actual piece of chicken was bigger than what you would get in a McChicken, plus it was crispier.  You had the option of getting a grilled chicken on it instead of crispy but who in their right mind would do that??  There was also crispy onions and bacon bits, the bacon bits were actual pieces of bacon not some crumble bullshit.  I've always maintained that McDonald's produces some of the finest bacon in the fast food game, it's always perfectly cooked and crispy.  The kicker was the black pepper and onion sauce, that was very good, in fact they should add that as an option for their nuggets, perhaps even as a dip for the fries.  The commercials all plug this "artisan bun" but really it was a regular bun shaped like a square with a couple of onions slivers baked into the top.  I am happy that it was a regular bun as I have found that McDonald's has tried to use a ciabatta bun for their fancier sandwiches and it always tastes dry and stale.  The meal itself was a little on the pricey side, after taxes it came to $9.55 which is a bit ridiculous for fast food, but I guess that's pretty much the going rate for combos at any fast food joint these days, even my beloved Popeye's.  Would I order it again? Of course I would it was very good, it's hard to beat the mighty Big Mac and that is still what I will order most of the time but I am glad McDonald's has finally gone back to their bread and butter with an unhealthy sandwich option.  McDonald's is losing money shoving salads and wraps down our throats don't they realize......


3 comments:

Matt Jelly said...

Have you heard any reports/reviews of the alleged cake at said party?

Unknown said...

I haven't heard anything about the cake... I should ask the guy who went to the party about it

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the awesome review about an amazing burguer. Mcdonalds is one of my favorite places to eat and spend a nice time but as i've said it's one of my favorite places. In my opinion Burguer King is better than Mcdonald's because of the amazing burguers that they have. Today, when i go to mcdonald's i only want to eat the big tasty, the cbo, the big mac...only the classics. The new mcdonald's burguers are good but aren't that good. Burguer King as an amazing collection of unbelivebly good burguers as the whopper,the big king, bacon king and a lots of increbly good bacon combinations. I am very dissapointed with mcdonald's, a place where i grew up eating and i see a great food company losing to their rivals, something that everyone said that couldn't be done. Now so many people that said that are turning back in their opinions and giving Burguer King the merit he deserves. Well,this is my opinion as a food lover. Thank you.