Friday, March 08, 2013

Big Brother Canada Musings

I love Big Brother, there isn't that many TV shows that I watch let alone can't miss.  I look forward every summer to watching the American version, and I was really pumped to find out there was going to finally be a Canadian version.  I sent in a half-assed audition tape, but despite saying I was going to go to the open auditions in Toronto, I got drunk the night before and didn't get out of bed until 1 pm.  I was a little nervous about the show going in, don't get me wrong I'm a proud Canadian, but we tend to half-ass Canadian versions of shows.  There has been some minor production issues, and the host Arisa Cox is certainly no Julie Chen, but so far Big Brother Canada has been just as good as any American season.  In fact I think it has been more pure than the recent American ones.  If I'm not mistaken most of the American Houseguests are found through casting agencies, and they are there to further some non-existent career.  Also they've been too obsessed with bringing back previous Houseguests the last two seasons.  Let's be real these Canadian Houseguests aren't going to be famous when they leave, I'm sure within a couple of years Tom and Emmett are gonna be a feature guest at some shitty night club opening, or they will be signing autographs at some used card dealership somewhere awful like Walkerton.  So far this season, I've developed some fairly strong opinions on the Houseguests, which I'll share with you, I plan on having a weekly recap written after the Thursday episode.  

My Pick to Win: Peter

It usually takes me a week or two to make my winner pick.  I was actually thinking Peter was gonna win right from the first episode, and I have now locked it in.  He reminds me a lot of Dan who won a few years back and should have won last year, he even yells in the Diary Room like Dan instead of talking like a normal human being.  "The Shield" alliance is similar to "The Renegades" and like the Renegades, The Shield will be Final 2, with Alec playing the role of Memphis.  I really don't like the other two people in their "Quartro" alliance, Tom is a bit of a dick head and Emmett wears a cowboy hat in public like that's actually a good look.  You're from Nova Scotia bud not the fucking Wild West.  Peter and Alec are doing the smart thing by stringing them along while they get rid of the floaters.  They can't hold the Brigades jock strap however.  The Brigade was by far my favouite alliance in Big Brother history.


Enzo aka The Meow Meow is my all time favourite houseguest, no one else has come close.  The best part of last season was when the Brigade came on and gave a scathing review of the Quack Pack.  Anyways unlike the Brigade who for the most part stuck together until the end, I can see the Quartro alliance fall apart, probably not for a couple of weeks but eventually.  


I think Aneal is gonna be a bit of a wildcard for the next couple of weeks, I really don't like him too much, the bowtie looks ridiculous, and I really hated his whole cry baby act, it was cringe worthy.  At least Apu was sincere with his tears when he sang that he, in fact, needs the Kwik-E-Mart.  But he is a smart player, and he is pretty good at shit disturbing.  I think he'd be smart to get on board with the Quartro, and eliminate the dead weight.

Speaking of dead weight, or just weight in general, Suzette is one of my least favourite characters so far.  She can barely string a coherent sentence together, and she hosts a radio show??  Her first HOH was a sham.  Thankfully she is amongst the shunned that never gets any airtime.  Joining that group of floaters is Topaz, Andrew and AJ, have the showed an AJ diary room yet this season?  I know it's hard to fit 24/7 footage into 3 hours worth of shows a week, but christ it's like he isn't even there.  Out of these floaters I can see Andrew emerging as a potential power player shortly, plus he is from Newfoundland, who doesn't like Newfies??


You can't talk about this season of Big Brother Canada without bringing up Gary Glitter.  My opinion shifts on him, he can be incredibly annoying, but he is one of the few houseguests who have actually made me laugh out loud.  It killed me when he said his foot was shaking like he had Parkinson's (yes I know I am going to hell for laughing about that)  I'm not sure why the token gay is always so fabulous and flamboyant, playing up to all the stereotypes.  I wonder if he is going to volunteer to be voted out, thinking he will come back in the house with super powers like Lawon did a couple of seasons ago.  I think Gary is a good player, has proven himself in the competitions, with that I can see him being a target as soon as this week, because I think it's obvious the new HOH Tom wants him out of the game. 
















Is it just me or does Liza look like a cartoon fish?  (credit goes to people on the Suvivor Sucks message board for that comparison and Apu and Aneal)  As for the rest of the houseguests, I find the whole showmance thing insufferable.  Topaz' only line this season has been "we call it a cuddlemance" and they air that line over and over during the commercials for the show, ugh it makes me cringe each time.  I think the Bromance will end up coming before the Showmance, and Tom, Emmett and Alec will be quick to stick the knife in Liza's, Jillian's or Topaz' back.  I think if the girls were smart they'd form their own Girl Power alliance and make the first move against the Quartro. 

Talla is my favourite amongst the women, she reminds me so much of someone I used to with at the Delta, except hopefully the whole farting thing.  I have gotten into some pretty rough sleeping patterns lately so I am usually awake when Big Brother After Dark comes on at 2am, and Talla is really like that all the time, she certainly doesn't play it up for the cameras.  To be honest the live feeds are usually boring as all fuck, I can't believe people pay for the American ones.  That is until a huge fight happens, and that is bound to happen soon.

So that 's it for my thoughts on the first couple of weeks of Big Brother Canada, like I said I'll try and do a weekly recap each week.  I'll also use this space to make my predictions before I read the spoilers (don't worry I won't post spoilers).  This week I think Gary and Suzette will be nominated, with Suzette going home.  I annoy my few twitter followers with a ton of Big Brother tweets, so follow me @didhenley to get in on that action.  Leave some comments too, I want to know who the person from Germany is who reads this.

P.S.  If you are into Spoilers head on over to OnlineBigBrother.com they also provide a nice recap of what is going on during the live feeds along with pictures and videos.

No comments: