Wednesday, August 13, 2014

REVIEW: Memphis Fire BBQ Company


Today's review takes us way the fuck out to the middle of nowhere to the Memphis Fire BBQ Company in Winona, Ontario.  Although Winona is technically a part of the City of Hamilton it might as well be in Buttfuck, Idaho... that being said it's well worth the trip to the boonies to have some of the best BBQ you will ever taste.  This is the 7th place I have been to that has been featured on "You Gotta Eat Here", when they filmed at this location that nerd John Cattuchi sampled a bunch of their bizarre breakfast concoctions (coconut pineapple pancakes with a side of bratwurst sausage and beans, say whaaaaaat?) but since I tend to drag myself out of bed at the crack of noon every day there was no way I was going to make it there for breakfast, what they should have featured was their amazing dinner fare.


First up was our appetizer, a family sized portion of Ranch Fries which feature house made ranch sauce, and mountains of bacon crumble and cheese (plus some shitty green onions).  These fries were amazing, and holy shit did you get a big portion, I made the rookie mistake of loading up on these fries before my main course and laboured to finish most of my dinner.  I went with two buddies who share the same love of food that I do and we couldn't even finish it all.


This was my dinner, the Pulled Pork platter, the two sides are their famous smoked beans and macaroni and cheese.  You had the option of getting a Pulled Pork or Brisket Sandwich with one side, or a platter with two sides.  The pulled pork was fantastic, amongst the best that I have ever had, it would've been great on a sandwich with some of that slaw, but I wanted to maximize my sides.  The beans were amazing too, these were cooked in their smoker and had pieces of beef brisket mixed into it.  The mac and cheese on the other hand may have been the weak link of the meal, but mix some of the pork in with it and that kicks up the flavour exponentially.

The prices are pretty good, a beer, my meal and a 1/3rd of the fries plus taxes and tip only set me back about $30, which is pretty standard and I was stuffed beyond belief, I really needed a nap after eating all that food.  I even took some food home with me, I am a little embarrassed by that fact as I usually never have left-overs.  I had the meat sweats that night something awful, I have sweat more from meat in the last few years than from exercise that's for damn sure.  I will definitely be returning, they have Fried Chicken Night on Monday-Wednesday but I have a hard time believing that anything can be better than Popeye's.  I was THIS close to getting the ribs, as ribs are one of my favourite foods and the ribs are served Thursday-Sunday.  I think I will be getting the ribs next time I go.  It is well worth the drive to Winona!

No comments: