Saturday, May 09, 2015

REVIEW: Wendy's Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken


It's not very often that something from Wendy's catches my eye, this is afterall the place that started the artisan-fication of fast food joints that has befouled the industry and set it back a solid 20 years.

I have always liked Wendy's, there was a walk-up window in London near the bars that was open until 4 am, you fucking better believe I drunkenly crushed a Baconator or two in my day.  Their commercials are kind of in a grey area for me.  The Wendy's spokeswoman is a bit of a bad girl and I'd split a Frosty with her anyday.  At the same time those commercials are on all the fucking time and as such they grind away at your soul.  I still know every word to that god damned Bacon Portabella Melt jingle (it's the best cheeseburger that brioche every held) for christs sakes. I REALLY hate the Baconator commercial - feet UP! gaaaaaaaaaaaaammeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn FACE DEEP in a BACONATOR.... I don't know why but that commercial sticks in my craw.

Funnily enough I have only see a commercial for this masterpiece once, the other time I was made aware of it was on my way to work and I saw it advertised on their storefront.  I am only a recent convert to spicy food, there was a point in my life where I questioned the mental sanity of people who put Frank's Red Hot on everything, nowadays it is I who puts that shit on everything commercial stereotype be damned.  At my poorest I put a heaping dash or two on some Eggo Waffles and called it dinner.    When it comes to the fast food game, these assholes think they can just throw a jalapeno or two on something and call it the Flamethrower or Satan's Boner and the thing barely registers heat above a fucking cinnamon heart, but the Jalapeno Fresco Spicy Chicken is different.


As I alluded to earlier this sandwich is a masterpiece, somewhere Dave Thomas is smiling.  The sandwich boasts 5 levels of spiciness, and they're not lying I was sweating like Roger Ebert after one bite.

The star of the show, of course is the chicken itself, it is the regular spicy chicken breast that they have had on the menu for years.  The original spicy chicken sandwich on it's own is not that spicy, but it still has a kick which is good, and it was the perfect compliment to the rest of the ingredients on the sandwich.

On the sandwich is colby pepper jack Cheese, diced jalapeno, red onion and this ghost pepper sauce.  Sweet Jesus, this ghost pepper sauce was actually hot as fuck, I reviewed Popeye's Ghost Pepper Wings back in January and felt a little misled by the title, while the wings were delicious, ghost peppers are one of the spiciest peppers on Earth and the wings weren't THAT spicy.  This sauce was different.  Holy shit it was spicy, but so fucking delicious.  Wendy's could bottle that shit and I'd buy it, I imagine putting that on some nachos would be a home run.  Last but not least the bun itself was a layer of spiciness as it was a red jalapeno bun.  I have long maintained that a bun makes or breaks a good sandwich, and this bun lived up to the high exectations of the rest of the sandwich.  I can't tell if the bun itself was spicy or not because I was mopping up the sweat from my eyebrows due to that ghost pepper sauce.

This sandwich ranks high on my power rankings of best things I have eaten at a fast food restaurant and I would certainly order it again.  It's a nut hair shy of $10 which is pricy but I am resigned to the fact that anywhere you go for a combo with fries and pop you're staring at $10 or so. The drink from Wendy's was gigantic too, Jesus Christ I thought I ordered a medium but it was the size of a small swimming pool.  I would certainly recommend this for anyone willing to take their taste buds on a magical ride through spicy town...the spicy ride out the poop shoot isn't that much fun though.

No comments: