Thursday, March 20, 2014

REVIEW: Big Boss Sandwich


When I saw the commercials for the Big Boss from KFC, I was pretty excited to try it, if you're a veteran reader of this shitty blog, you know that I love Big Macs  The Big Boss is basically the exact same as a Big Mac except with chicken instead of beef.  I've often wondered what a Chicken Big Mac would be like, word on the street in McDonald's locations in the Caribbean and other locales sell it.  I've considered asking those dorky teenagers at McDonald's to make me one, but I've been too embarrassed to ask.  I suppose I could just order a couple of Junior Chickens and make it myself but seems like it would be far too much work.  I'm a big fan of KFC.... even though Popeye's is 1000 times better (sidenote: they REALLY need to open a Popeye's in Kingston, I had it when I was back home in London a couple of weeks ago, and holy fuck was it ever good).  As to be expected, the Colonel makes some of the best chicken sandwiches in the fast food circuit, the Big Crunch, the Zinger and especially the Double Down are all very good, but I am disappointed to report that the Big Boss failed to live up to my lofty expectations.


First we have the presentation - Good Lord, I know what you get at a fast food joint doesn't look anything like it looks on the commercials, but this is a monstrosity!  It was like someone without fingers put this together, it was perhaps the most poorly put together sandwich I have ever had at a fast food restaurant.  It was a pretty busy in there tonight,  I think everyone in front of me ordered 20 piece buckets - it took them forever to get me my order (13 minutes to be exact - I could tell because I saw my order on their shitty little monitor), I wont fault them for that, but there is no excuse for such a half-ass constructed sandwich.  The chicken patties had the traditional KFC breading we've all come to know and love, but the chicken itself was shockingly, and unpleasantly dry, it wasn't a very big piece of chicken either, compounding the dryness of the chicken was the bun, I don't know if it was stale or what but the first couple of bites was like eating chalk.  Things did improve when I hit the middle and was met with some pickles, onion and sauce.  Speaking of sauce, I had BARELY any sauce on mine, I couldn't tell if it was trying to be like Big Mac Sauce or mayo or what.  When you get a Big Mac you usually end up with some sauce on your fingers and face, this sandwich could have used a ton more sauce to save itself from the overall blandness of it.  The whole thing was kind of cold too which is never good.  It was almost $10 after taxes for a combo - a little pricey, I doubt I will order it again.  Overall I would have to give the Colonel an "A" for effort in trying something new, but the execution gets a D+.  I'll be returning to KFC once they bring back the Zinger Double Down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was in Mexico I tried the Chicken Mac (Big Mac with chicken patties), and it wasn't that good. They used really thin chicken patties which made it too crunchy and dry because there wasn't enough actual chicken.

It wasn't nearly as good as a big mac.